Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Curse of a Blessing

I got this video off a "Confessions of a CF Husband." I think it's a great video and sums up CF and Transplant extremely well. I highly recommend you taking a few moments to watch it and really open your heart to CF. One lady in the video describes CF as a "Curse of a Blessing." I think that phrase describes CF perfectly, in my eyes. CF is a blessing, but yet you are cursed with an uncurable disease, facing death eventually. Having been literally hours away from dying, I've truly learned to appreciate life. Transplants are not successful with every person. But because of God's grace, mine was. But the recovery was long, frustrating, and extremely painful. The prognosis for lung transplants for CF patients right now is about a 50% chance of living 5 years. However, that prognosis is improving each and every day. I do worry, as I deal with a lot of post-transplant issues, and wonder how long my small body can handle them. There is hope for CF patients. Recent new drug discoveries are very promising for a cure in the near future. But because of no government funding, we need all the help we can get. The young girl in this video is waiting for a lung transplant and is desperate. I know exactly what she is going through and have been in her exact place. She needs hope, just like all CF patients do.