Sunday, October 12, 2008

Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Walk

Yesterday, I participated in our local Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Walk. I had been asked to participate in it by one of our HTICU nurses (our transplant floor at the hospital) several weeks ago, before getting sick. However, I decided to go ahead and do it...that it probably wouldn't hurt! I walked with 2 of our HTICU nurses. And one of the nurses brought her boyfriend and her sister and her boyfriend. I am good friends with this particular nurse, and we had a great time. There were over 13,000 people at the walk--WOW!!

It was a 5K walk, and I finished the entire thing in a pretty good time (I think). The times won't be posted probably for another day or two. We had a number that you pinned to your shirt and a time chip attached around your ankle. I had never done a walk like this, and I absolutely loved it. While I wanted to run, I didn't, and instead walked at a really fast pace. I walked along with one of our nurses, who was an older lady, and also a breast cancer survivor. She had been my nurse several days in my recent hospitalization. I was very thankful to have her walk with me. We had a good time learning more about each other. Also, toward the end of the walk, I became pretty nauseated and a little dizzy...so it was good to be surrounded by nurses. My lungs did GREAT. My legs started tiring and hurting towards the end...but I kept on. They are definitely sore today.

After the walk I went back to the other nurses house, where we ate lunch and hung out for a little while. Then I came back home and picked up a friend of mine who was in town from Texas attending a friend's wedding. She spent the night with me last night. We had lot of fun. I took her to the airport this morning, then went straight to church and Sunday school. I am very tired and exhausted, as I still haven't slept much over the last week. I also have a midterm tomorrow, so I plan on napping and studying today!

Since transplant, since gaining a lot of my strength back, and since now I can BREATHE...I really enjoy walking/jogging/running. Usually, during the fall month, I get into the habit/routine of walking/jogging 3-4 times a week. However, I usually end up getting sick, and quickly fall off the path. It's very hard to make time with work, school, and especially when you don't feel well. Well, here it is again, Fall. Yesterday was the start of my walking/running streak. We'll see how long it lasts. I plan on trying to keep it up as much as possible, and really train my body!

My GOAL: To participate in the Mercedes 1/2 marathon in February of 2009. I would absolutely LOVE LOVE to do this.

I hope everyone has/had a wonderful Sunday.

Oh...we took lots of pictures yesterday, and the website will also be posting some. So I will make sure and post those when I have them!!

0 comments: