Friday, January 9, 2009


Sorry it's taken so long for an update. I just got my computer a little while ago. I did get admitted last night through the E.R. I think I got up to a room about 2:00 this morning. HOWEVER--I have to say that the whole ER experience was not that bad. We arrived about 6:30 last night. I signed myself in and they verified my name and SSN. Then the sweet guy told me to be patient that they had a full ER and about a 12-inch thick of people(papers) before me. So i went and sat down amongst the sick, gross, and no insurance people. About 2 minutes later, they called me back to triage. After that, I think we waited in the waiting room for about 10 or 15 minutes. Then they called me back to an exam room. I was in the exam room a LONG time, but at least I had a bed, TV, and more importantly, away from all the sick people. Somehow, I got pushed in front of everyone which was great. The nurse I had was so sweet too. After the usual work-up (labs, xray, iv, etc.) they decided to go ahead and admit me. My xray was clear and they did this more as a precautionary measure more than anything. They did give me fluids, as my labs indicated I was dehydrated.

The frustrating part was waiting around all day today to actually see the doctor and get orders in. I didn't get any food until about 4:00 this afternoon, because the admitting doctor failed to put in an order. Finally, about 3:30 this afternoon...Dr. Y (the one we don't like) came by. I was really dreading this after yesterday's situation. He pulled up a chair and basically made me feel like an idiot and acted like I was making all this up. He asked stupid questions, and I really just wanted to cry. I did what I was told to do, and yet I have a doctor that in reality, doesn't seem to care. I talked with my coordinator this morning and after the doctor came in, and she said we made the right decision, considering my fever and shortness of breath. ( I literally could not breathe yesterday). While nothing serious is going on with my lungs(at least not on paper), we aren't sure what is causing me to spike these fevers and other symptoms. This doctor doesn't feel the need to do anything, and more than likely will discharge me tomorrow. And let's just say that me and my family will not have anything to do with this doctor ANYMORE...and I'll make sure of that. He's humiliated me, made me want to cry, and frankly is lazy and doesn't want to put any effort towards figuring out what's wrong. I have put on a happy face, had a conversation with my coordinator (who will be handling things from here on out),and talked with my parents. This has gone on long enough. I guess he's just old and worn out in his career. (and just so you know..I'm not the only patient that has issues with him).

I did miss my GI test this morning. And during my conversation with my doctor, he proceeded to say that they could have sent me down for it if he had known. BLAH!!!! I told everyone and paged everyone I could think of to actually get something done...and he says that??? I guess he is just burned out with his job and doesn't care. I'm just the patient...and all I want is answers and to feel better. That's all I'm asking. Don't humiliate me, make me feel like an idiot, and question someone else's decision. My coordinator said she would have told any of her other patients to do the same thing.

My coordinator (who is the best in the world) going to take care of everything and reschedule my GI test (for the 4th time) for next week. Hopefully my body will decide to behave for the next couple of months so I can get this internship out of the way and concentrate on school!

And from here on out...(after tomorrow)...I will have no association with this doctor. Thank you all for your comments and prayers. While I'm feeling better, I'm not 100%. But needless to say, I'm basically sitting in a hospital bed doing nothing. No medications, tests, treatments, etc. And to top things off...our normal transplant floor was full, so I'm on the pulmonary/cf floor...which is the germiest of all floors!! On the plus side, I'm not hooked up to any monitors and have free roam of the hospital if I want it. But considering my severely suppressed immune system, I think the best thing is to stay in the room.

I'll update again tomorrow with the official discharge words!


Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear how horrible that doctor is!
Sending lots of prayers and positive thoughts! Hope you are feeling better soon!

Cindy said...

I have been wondering how you are doing, and figured you were either locked up, or getting some rest. I hope you feel better soon, and am so sorry you have to deal with such a horrible doctor!

Carrie said...

I am sorry you are having such a hard time with this particular doctor. Does he only practice at UAB? Hopefully be the time Sawyer is old enough to go to UAB he will be better soon!!

Christy said...

Ughh... I hate being in the hospital when they aren't doing anything for me.

So sorry you had to deal with the crummy doc. I don't blame you for not wanting anything to do with him anymore. Some of them just need to retire.

Hopefully the fevers were just a freak virus thing and you will start feeling lots better. I'm praying that the GI test will give you some answers.

Jennifer said...

That doctor sounds like a complete crab. What a jerk. I hope you start to feel better!

Alicia said...

Good for you drawing the line. That is ridiculous!