Saturday, October 4, 2008

Saturday Update #2

Well, I just saw the transplant doctor who is on service for the weekend. I hate the fact that there will be one doctor on service for the week, and a different one on service for the weekend. Almost always, each doctor has their own opinion. While I like each one of the doctors on our transplant team, it gets very frustrating when each one tells you something different.

The doctor I just saw doesn't really think I have anything. He thinks the low WBC count is due to one of my immunosuppresent drugs, Imuran. Evidently, it is known to suppress the bone marrow in the body, especially when you have some sort of a virus. So he basically, doesn't have any other explanation, and really doesn't think there is one.

On the respiratory side of things, he really doesn't think anything is going on either. He thinks it's probably just a virus, and thinks the iv antibiotics are useless, and not necessary to continue. (that really pissed me off). The doctor that admitted me did so for a reason, I didn't ask to be admitted. And my symptoms were all respiratory related, including cough, wheezing, shortness of breath, fatigue, etc. And the initial plan was to do home iv antibiotics anyway since I had already been on the oral abx that would work. So now, to just have 4.5 days of iv abx...kind of ticks me off. Who do you believe??

Then he asks me or rather states, "You aren't having any sinus issues are you?" And I replied with a "yes, I've been having sinus issues, and think this is all where it started from. We've been trying to knock out the pseudomonus my ENT cultured about 1month ago." Then he asks me why isn't it documented? Well, I don't know. But I sure did tell the doctor and CRNP that admitted me. But then again, he thinks the iv abx will be pointless, and thinks that I should be discharged tomorrow. I don't have a problem with being discharged, but I do have a problem with not continuing the iv abx. Rather, I'm really really frustrated with his plan. I guarantee you if the other doctor from this week was on right now, he would probably keep me a few more days and let me continue the abx at least at home. It's almost like you have to convince some of the doctors you are sick, because they just don't believe you. Why and how could I fake wheezing, coughing, shortness of breath, fatigue, etc. And why would I want to do that? I have a job and are in school full time. I want to miss the least amount of days possible. I didn't ask to come in the hospital, but thought I needed it and it was for a good reason.

So, now I really don't know what to think. I'm kind of in a foul mood right now. One of two things are going to happen: Whatever this is, ends up being just a virus, and it runs its course, and everything is ok. My WBC count will come back up. Or, 2)this is some sort of respiratory infection, it doesn't get knocked out since he is stopping the abx, and it later turns into actual pneumonia. And if that happens, you know good and well, who I will blame for that.

Sorry for my ranting...I'm just really ticked off right now.

0 comments: