Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Hidascan

My GI test (Hidascan) is rescheduled for Friday morning at 8:30. YAY...not really though :) Please say a prayer that the test will go smoothly. I'm not worried about results and will be happy to finally get something done about my stomach issues. This is a test to look more closely at my gallbladder. And according to what everyone is saying, if it shows gallbladder trouble like the ultrasound, then more than likely the gallbladder will come out.

I'm very nervous about the test. The test can take up to 2 hours...and that's bad news for my back, since i have serious back pain. I'm usually in tears when tests that long are over, because my back is hurting so bad. Also, this test involves IV contrast. Please pray that they are able and willing to use my port for IV access. I don't have any available veins for peripheral IV's and don't feel like being tortured to find one. Also, please pray for my nausea. I will be NPO after midnight, and I have not had one day this week without nausea. My coordinator is letting me take a phenigren that morning prior to the procedure, so hopefully that will help!

Thanks! I will update when I know the results. I'm going to try and schedule the follow-up appt with my GI doctor next week!!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Will keep you in my prayers...
Carrie

Alicia said...

Wow, I'm sorry it's all so complicated. I pray it goes well.

Anonymous said...

I have tried several times to post a comment today, but my computer is not being agreeable! Anyway, I had a hidascan in October, I think. I did take about 2 hours, and they did the full test. It is done in 2 parts. The first part, they inject the radioactive material thru an IV, and you lie on the CT table motionless for a while. I can't recall exactly how long this first phase lasted. The x-ray machine hovers above your abdomen measuring how quicly the material passes thru your gallbladder. If the radiologist decides it is necessary, they do a second phase, where they insert some other medicine. I was never clear if they do it because the results from the first phase was inconclusive, or what, but they did the second phase on me. Turns out, my gallbladder is fine. Hopefully whenever you have the test, if it is tomorrow, or another day, you will be able to tolerate it with your back problems. Good luck!!!